Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2006
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:14 pm

As stated in the title, I decided to take a look at the league rules and write up my opinion of each one to spark conversation about what needs to be changed or updated this off-season. This is a lengthy post and took some time to write-up, keep in mind these are just my opinions and are not right or wrong. I feel like some in the league will have the same opinions, some will not. In taking an in-depth look at the rules, I realized how out of date they really are. Most of them are very open-ended and need more clear cut wording. Please take a look at what I've written and voice your opinion about what I've written about certain ones and how you feel! It's only going to make the league better to hear what everyone thinks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:19 pm


1. Trade Rules: You are allowed to trade bidding dollars, players, waiver spots, and/or draft picks. Just keep in mind there are roster limits. 25 major league players when season starts and 20 minor league players when season starts.

Quote :
With how this reads, in the off-season there are no roster limits.. This is a possible loop-hole where owners can stock pile players in the off-season. We need an Off-Season Roster Cut-Down date where say for example January 1st everyone has to have Active Rosters down to 25 (No players on INJ RES.) and in correct lineup positions. In my plan we would have a different cut-down for the MiLB roster, say a week or two before the MiLB Draft Date. Where your cut-down would coincide with how many picks you own. If you have 20 players and 4 picks then you must cut 4 players to only have 16 before the draft, also those cut players would be eligible for anyone else to draft and for you to draft back if you wanted. We also need possible infractions and penalties if owners do not cut-down rosters by set dates (ex. Lose of draft picks, etc.)


2. Trades Involving Non Commissioners: ALL trades must be posted on this website in the "Trades Completed" Forum. Each manager must then post "I Accept." Then after that 2 of the 3 commissioners must post "TRADE APPROVED." If 2 or more of us veto it for reasons we will specify then it will not be passed.

Quote :
Commisioners aren’t voting on this, if it only needs one commishes approval then why have this in our rules?

3. Trades Involving Commissioners: If there is a trade that involves a commissioner we will not vote on it. Instead we are going to select 3 other GMs to be on a trade council. They will judge trades fairly and it is the same process we use. 2 commissioners are needed to pass it. Also, as commissioners we hold the right to remove anyone from that role if we feel they are abusing their power.

Quote :
Do we even have this? Who are they? If we don’t have this then this also should be removed from the rules.
4. Trade Vetoes: We will provide an explanation for the trade and that is the end of it. A trade will only be vetoed if you are trading something you do not have, trading an odd number of picks, collusion, or a trade so awful one side immeidately becomes a top tier team. If you continue to complain and bitch about we will be forced to punish you.

Quote :
We need a stated punishment, not just something open-ended. I doubt this ever happens, hasn’t yet but once again.. If your not covering all the bases then why have it in the rules. Once again, an appropriate punishment could be loss of draft picks.
5. Rosters: You are in charge of updating your roster. We do not care so much within in the season, but keep it update during the off-season.

Quote :
This is a huge problem and needs a punishment for not happening. We all are guilty of it at this point, it’s an issue that needs fixed league wide and then a deterrence put in place for a future offense. 1st time should be a Warning, 2nd time loss of 3rd Round Draft Pick, 3rd time loss of 2nd Round Draft Pick, 4th time loss of 1st Round Draft Pick.
6. Dropping Players: Once a player is dropped he is no longer yours. Yahoo asks you multiple times if you would like to drop a player if you proceed with it then there is no turning back.

Quote :
This is pretty cut and dry, should possibly organize this under Roster Moves section.
7. The MiLB Draft Order is determined by reverse standings. For a full explanation please see .Here

8. Waivers: The waivers are determined the same way the MiLB Draft Order is.

Quote :
This is very standard and shouldn’t change.

9. Off-Season Moving: You may trade throughtout the off-season, but you may NOT add FAs to your major league roster during the off-season. Also when we set-up the league you must have a 25 man roster and nothing more. It doesnt matter if you have a player who will be on the DL at the start. It is 25 man roster period when we start league each year.

Quote :
This goes back to having a league roster cut date in the off-season where we may have no more than 25 man active roster by example January 1st, then have a Minor League Roster cut date of a week before the MiLB Draft where if you have 4 Draft Picks you must have no more than 16 MiLB Players, 5 Draft Picks = no more than 15 MiLB Players, ETC.
10. No "statement" trades will be tolerated. If one occurs for reasons like you want to show the league how bad an offer was, upset at a prior veto, and etc it will be vetoed and you will be punished.

Quote :
Again, just being “punished” is too broad. We need a set of possible punishments for number of infractions.

11. If we determine collusion has occurred it will result in an immediate expulsion from the league. No questions asked.

Quote :
Very standard rule, though I think it should come down to a commish vote.

12. Any league changes will be made during the offseason. We will decide if it is in the league's best interest to vote on a topic or for me to decide soley.

Quote :
This is a league, not a dictatorship… If something is so out there that would greatly impact the league, the rest of the owners would not vote for it. League changes should be voiced, written up, then placed up to be voted on by the entire league. That’s the only fair way to conduct things. To give commishes the power to decide solely leaves everything open and makes our rules mean nothing because the commish can always make the the ultimate decision. The league as a whole should have the final say.

13. Activity: If we feel your league activity is not up to par we will warn you or punish depending how we perceive it. It is my decision alone on if activity is not up to par.

Quote :
I don’t like punishment, and one’s lone decision. Simply, if the entire league or majority league feels one’s activity isn’t up to par then it needs to be brought up to the individual and if he doesn’t see himself being able to fix the issue going into the next season then he shall not be retained as an owner and a replacement should be found.
14. Money : In order to participate you must either mail us $65 USD or send us $70 via PayPal (PayPal charges you about $5 for their services). You must pay before the draft in order to continue. We are ot required to give you a full refund. Once you send in money it is no longer yours, it is EBHD's money.

15. Rules are subject to be added at any time. You will notified of them but an excuse of I didn't see them will not be accepted if you break the rule. Appropriate actions will still be taken

Quote :
Once again, rules in any league shouldn’t be able to be added at any time. There should be a set date every off-season where rule changes should be suggested by the members of the league and then after a week of suggestions, the suggestions should go to a vote for a week. Where it would take a majority of the league’s vote for a rule change to be made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronfoster13

avatar

Number of posts : 559
Age : 40
Location : Sherwood, OR
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:44 pm

As far as the roster limits and cutting players. I'm ok with having a cut date for the major league roster, but needs to be after the minor league draft and pretty close to the beginning of when the season starts. But the minor league cut date needs to be after the draft. For example, if I have 18 minor leaguers and 4 picks, I don't have to use all four picks during the draft. I can pass on a pick or what if I want to trade 2 of those picks during the draft or trade a pick or two to move up in the draft? It is possible for me to end up with only 2 minor leaguers at the end of the minor league draft, so I think this minor league cut date is bogus.

As far as having a penalty for not keeping your roster up to date on this site, I really think this is extreme. If you want the updated roster, go to the CBS site. It's up to date all the time. If someone has checked in to update their roster in a month or two, then send them an email to remind them, not penalize them. All the info you need is on the CBS site.



Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:17 pm

aaronfoster13 wrote:
As far as the roster limits and cutting players. I'm ok with having a cut date for the major league roster, but needs to be after the minor league draft and pretty close to the beginning of when the season starts. But the minor league cut date needs to be after the draft. For example, if I have 18 minor leaguers and 4 picks, I don't have to use all four picks during the draft. I can pass on a pick or what if I want to trade 2 of those picks during the draft or trade a pick or two to move up in the draft? It is possible for me to end up with only 2 minor leaguers at the end of the minor league draft, so I think this minor league cut date is bogus.

As far as having a penalty for not keeping your roster up to date on this site, I really think this is extreme. If you want the updated roster, go to the CBS site. It's up to date all the time. If someone has checked in to update their roster in a month or two, then send them an email to remind them, not penalize them. All the info you need is on the CBS site.

Another dynasty league I'm apart of follows the following schedule.

Early January - rule change suggestions
Mid January - vote on rule changes
Late January - rosters have to be set at 25 man active rosters

** this where in Early February we could implement Craig's rule 5 idea

Mid February - MilB cut date = this would allow 2-3 months after the world series to move picks and get to where you want
Late February - MiLB Draft

And that would take us to Opening Day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:21 pm

aaronfoster13 wrote:


As far as having a penalty for not keeping your roster up to date on this site, I really think this is extreme. If you want the updated roster, go to the CBS site. It's up to date all the time. If someone has checked in to update their roster in a month or two, then send them an email to remind them, not penalize them. All the info you need is on the CBS site.

I agree with how you've stated this, I just think why have the rosters at the forum if they're not even semi-updated. If it was expected for everyone to update their rosters after the World Series that'd be sufficient. If not, then why don't we just remove the rosters from the forum?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronfoster13

avatar

Number of posts : 559
Age : 40
Location : Sherwood, OR
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Those are some pretty early dates. I rather wait till the NFL season is over to concentrate on my baseball league. Also, doesn't answer my question, what if I have 18 minor leagues and 4 picks. I have to forfeit 2 minor leaguers even if I don't plan on using all my picks or possibly want to move up or trade those picks during the minor league draft. Seems pretty unfair for those who have a solid minor league system or have accumulated picks in anticipation on what could happen in the draft.

Also, No disrespect to Craig's rule 5 draft, but I'd rather not do that. I've seen it before, but it really has no merit unless you are in an auction draft with salaries or contract years. It forces teams to make moves that perhaps they don't want to make, including bad or young teams that are building for the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 pm

Quote :
For example, if I have 18 minor leaguers and 4 picks, I don't have to use all four picks during the draft. I can pass on a pick or what if I want to trade 2 of those picks during the draft or trade a pick or two to move up in the draft? It is possible for me to end up with only 2 minor leaguers at the end of the minor league draft, so I think this minor league cut date is bogus.


Under my scenario, if you have a full roster and 3 picks then you'd have 2-3 months to either deal those picks or players for better players, picks, etc. Come the cut date if you'd still have a full roster and 3 picks then you'd either cut players or pass on draft picks. This allows decisions to be made earlier in the off-season, promotes trading, and generally makes tough decisions.. Which could help you or a potentially cut player could be drafted by another team and blossom into a star prospect. It spreads out the activity of the league from a flurry in March to more evenly through January, February, and March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knuckleball
Commissioner


Number of posts : 666
Age : 31
Location : Granite Bay, CA
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:44 am

Alright, I will have a revised set of rules that everyone can look over by the end of the weekend. It will address some of these key points that Bryan and Craig have both mentioned.

Some of them are easy fixes like activity in the league and and the trade approval process.

Some of the amendments are more difficult (Rule 5 Draft) and will probably need additional discussion before a vote can be conducted.

Others I flat out disagree with because they are just to restrictive in nature (Proposed cut down schedule provided by Bryan)

I do believe roster sizes can be reduced down from 48 (3IR players) to 45 after the season ends so everyone is working at a level playing field, but beyond that the only other cut down date should be March 1st (or whenever) when we open up the waiver wire and teams need to meet the 25/20 rule.

I will provide everything else in my all encompassing Revised Rule post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronfoster13

avatar

Number of posts : 559
Age : 40
Location : Sherwood, OR
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:27 am

I like the idea of having to take your guys off IR after the season is over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:58 am

Alot of good ideas. I think IE is right about cleaning up alot of the language in the rules and having a formal offseason voting period for rule changes.

I think the requirement to update our rosters on this message board can be cut. The updated list of MiLB players owned and the CBS rosters should be sufficient for roster info purposes.

I think the trade approval process can also be cut. It's to much to ask of the commishes to review every single trade. We all know we can voice our opinions on deals, and any trade with more than 1 detractor can be put to a league vote.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the Rule V or roster cut dates. These ideas have positives and negatives, and I'm fine either way.

Back to top Go down
ThunderBalls

avatar

Number of posts : 644
Age : 42
Location : San Francisco, CA
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:15 pm

In general, most of this seems OK by me. I dont really see why we need to dig so deeply into rules like we're doing, but whatever, if it makes you feel good to dwell on the small details, fine.

Couple points of contention though.

1. Having dates for roster cuts, IR moves, etc is good, but having them while football is still going on is just silly to me. Late February or even March is OK given we still havent had a season begin, and more data will be available at that time to make decisions. Doing this in January accomplishes nothing. In fact our MiLB draft was at the end of March last year and things were fine. In short, sure, dates are cool, but let people get Baseball in their heads first.
2. Rule 5 stuff doesnt make sense for our league IMO - dont like or want another system. Why penalize managers who actually spend the time to draft and trade well - its not everyone's job to find people to populate other teams. In fact it is just as likely to favor the good teams over the not so good teams. In the MLB, the rule 5 has consequences like salaray cap and roster restrictions (40 man protected vs. 25 on the MLB level - must stay on the MLB level) which just doesnt apply to us. Moreover, this just seems like random rule adds that doesnt try to actually solve a problem - Pass for sure.
3. Trade approval stuff - sure whatever. We havent had any problems so far. Someone is always going to look at other peoples deals with some head scratching, so Id prefer to keep this in commish hands.

The only thing not addressed here that needs some detail are the penalties for rule breaking, like the stuff that happened at the end of the season with the roster movement that was illegal. Define the punishments now, regardless of ultimate impact, and have it set and clear. It shouldnt be the commish job to determine if the broken rule ultimately had any impact, but rather have something in place to deal with it - loss of the player, loss of the pick, etc. - ahead of time.

Happy New Year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
headcase524



Number of posts : 435
Age : 35
Location : New York
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:25 pm

I noticed in the trade section that you can trade waiver priority order. Has that ever been done before? Can we get rid of that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 am

bryanmurphy9 wrote:

1. Trade Rules: You are allowed to trade bidding dollars, players, waiver spots, and/or draft picks. Just keep in mind there are roster limits. 25 major league players when season starts and 20 minor league players when season starts.

Quote :
With how this reads, in the off-season there are no roster limits.. This is a possible loop-hole where owners can stock pile players in the off-season. We need an Off-Season Roster Cut-Down date where say for example January 1st everyone has to have Active Rosters down to 25 (No players on INJ RES.) and in correct lineup positions. In my plan we would have a different cut-down for the MiLB roster, say a week or two before the MiLB Draft Date. Where your cut-down would coincide with how many picks you own. If you have 20 players and 4 picks then you must cut 4 players to only have 16 before the draft, also those cut players would be eligible for anyone else to draft and for you to draft back if you wanted. We also need possible infractions and penalties if owners do not cut-down rosters by set dates (ex. Lose of draft picks, etc.)


2. Trades Involving Non Commissioners: ALL trades must be posted on this website in the "Trades Completed" Forum. Each manager must then post "I Accept." Then after that 2 of the 3 commissioners must post "TRADE APPROVED." If 2 or more of us veto it for reasons we will specify then it will not be passed.

Quote :
Commisioners aren’t voting on this, if it only needs one commishes approval then why have this in our rules?

3. Trades Involving Commissioners: If there is a trade that involves a commissioner we will not vote on it. Instead we are going to select 3 other GMs to be on a trade council. They will judge trades fairly and it is the same process we use. 2 commissioners are needed to pass it. Also, as commissioners we hold the right to remove anyone from that role if we feel they are abusing their power.

Quote :
Do we even have this? Who are they? If we don’t have this then this also should be removed from the rules.
4. Trade Vetoes: We will provide an explanation for the trade and that is the end of it. A trade will only be vetoed if you are trading something you do not have, trading an odd number of picks, collusion, or a trade so awful one side immeidately becomes a top tier team. If you continue to complain and bitch about we will be forced to punish you.

Quote :
We need a stated punishment, not just something open-ended. I doubt this ever happens, hasn’t yet but once again.. If your not covering all the bases then why have it in the rules. Once again, an appropriate punishment could be loss of draft picks.
5. Rosters: You are in charge of updating your roster. We do not care so much within in the season, but keep it update during the off-season.

Quote :
This is a huge problem and needs a punishment for not happening. We all are guilty of it at this point, it’s an issue that needs fixed league wide and then a deterrence put in place for a future offense. 1st time should be a Warning, 2nd time loss of 3rd Round Draft Pick, 3rd time loss of 2nd Round Draft Pick, 4th time loss of 1st Round Draft Pick.
6. Dropping Players: Once a player is dropped he is no longer yours. Yahoo asks you multiple times if you would like to drop a player if you proceed with it then there is no turning back.

Quote :
This is pretty cut and dry, should possibly organize this under Roster Moves section.
7. The MiLB Draft Order is determined by reverse standings. For a full explanation please see .Here

8. Waivers: The waivers are determined the same way the MiLB Draft Order is.

Quote :
This is very standard and shouldn’t change.

9. Off-Season Moving: You may trade throughtout the off-season, but you may NOT add FAs to your major league roster during the off-season. Also when we set-up the league you must have a 25 man roster and nothing more. It doesnt matter if you have a player who will be on the DL at the start. It is 25 man roster period when we start league each year.

Quote :
This goes back to having a league roster cut date in the off-season where we may have no more than 25 man active roster by example January 1st, then have a Minor League Roster cut date of a week before the MiLB Draft where if you have 4 Draft Picks you must have no more than 16 MiLB Players, 5 Draft Picks = no more than 15 MiLB Players, ETC.
10. No "statement" trades will be tolerated. If one occurs for reasons like you want to show the league how bad an offer was, upset at a prior veto, and etc it will be vetoed and you will be punished.

Quote :
Again, just being “punished” is too broad. We need a set of possible punishments for number of infractions.

11. If we determine collusion has occurred it will result in an immediate expulsion from the league. No questions asked.

Quote :
Very standard rule, though I think it should come down to a commish vote.

12. Any league changes will be made during the offseason. We will decide if it is in the league's best interest to vote on a topic or for me to decide soley.

Quote :
This is a league, not a dictatorship… If something is so out there that would greatly impact the league, the rest of the owners would not vote for it. League changes should be voiced, written up, then placed up to be voted on by the entire league. That’s the only fair way to conduct things. To give commishes the power to decide solely leaves everything open and makes our rules mean nothing because the commish can always make the the ultimate decision. The league as a whole should have the final say.

13. Activity: If we feel your league activity is not up to par we will warn you or punish depending how we perceive it. It is my decision alone on if activity is not up to par.

Quote :
I don’t like punishment, and one’s lone decision. Simply, if the entire league or majority league feels one’s activity isn’t up to par then it needs to be brought up to the individual and if he doesn’t see himself being able to fix the issue going into the next season then he shall not be retained as an owner and a replacement should be found.
14. Money : In order to participate you must either mail us $65 USD or send us $70 via PayPal (PayPal charges you about $5 for their services). You must pay before the draft in order to continue. We are ot required to give you a full refund. Once you send in money it is no longer yours, it is EBHD's money.

15. Rules are subject to be added at any time. You will notified of them but an excuse of I didn't see them will not be accepted if you break the rule. Appropriate actions will still be taken

Quote :
Once again, rules in any league shouldn’t be able to be added at any time. There should be a set date every off-season where rule changes should be suggested by the members of the league and then after a week of suggestions, the suggestions should go to a vote for a week. Where it would take a majority of the league’s vote for a rule change to be made.

Oki, my opinions on your opinions:

1. We usually have a cut down date, before the draft. Now it's late and I do agree that there is a loophole there. If we set a cut down date that's somewhere in the middle of the offseason, that's fine by me. I don't agree with the cutting down of Milb rosters to match picks. Because teams by now can have enough loaded rosters with built up talent from years prior and bidding, that a 3rd pick might not be worth the 18th guy on their roster. If anything, if your roster is over, just take away the picks. Sort of like having to forefit picks for not cutting down milb rosters. You take your picks, and you pick until you reach your roster limit (and/or our maximum amount of rounds- which I believe is 3). So in this case, if I have 19 players, I lose my second and third round pick hypothetically.

2. Well the rules are technically two commishes, but since it might be hard for people to be on all the time, we usually just pass the trade when one commish approves it. It's pretty much just done, so people don't have to wait to set their lineups, because trades can mess up their lineups to the point of rendering them illegal. Figure, much better to just have one person approve it, rather than two basically out of convenience to the traders.

3. I still like the notion of the rule, to avoid commish abuse in trades and to have checks and balances. Is it practiced, I doubt it. It's somewhat rendered useless, because those people that approve it don't have commish rights on CBS, so even if they approve it, takes for a commish to pass it.

4. I think trade veto is pretty clear by now. I don't know if it's appropriate to shell out punishment for bitching. Soon enough, it's going to fall on deaf years. Not like anyone of you are driving down to my house to throw eggs for allowing a trade or vetoing it. I think no punishment is probably the best way to go, unless someone goes nuts and sends people viruses or something.

5. Well, this one is tricky. CBS pretty much takes care of all our roster needs. We don't really need a roster update here. All we really need here would be fake player card requests. While, it won't come up on the player search, fake players will show up on the team grid on CBS, and can be found with a search option. I think this rule is an outdated rule, and rather than punish people for it, should just ammend it to update fake player requests, and do Milb adds and drops. I don't think there is a reason to have the rosters updated here and on CBS IMO.

6. Agree.

7. Agree.

8. Agree.

9. I like the idea of a roster cut date. I don't like the idea of picks being valued over current players. I think it should work the other way, and it would be easier to manage since we can skip people in a draft much easier than getting them online to cut players. Much rather have roster size dictate draft picks, than draft picks dictate roster size.

10. Again, I think simple veto is enough. Vetoing isn't that hard, all you have to do is press a button. If people want to make a statement and drop good players, and there is an outrage over it, we can just restore the team, and lock it from moves. If there is punishment, it should be that the team is locked.

11. Yeah, if there is collusion, expulsion from the league is pretty much the standard.

12. While that is the rule, I doubt it's been practiced. I think that's the first draft of the rules, when basic rules were being added. We pretty much put everything to vote in the offseason that is up for debate. Since we already do it, can just change the rule to having all major rule changes up for vote.

13. This one is tricky. Since people pay money, there should be enough incentive for them to be active. While a case where someone just doesn't sign in for months (which was the case for Dazsensation or whatever his SN was) then it's easy to define. But what about the gray area? How much activity is activity? Is it setting lineups? Is it signing on? Is it making a certain amount of moves in a given period? People define activity by different standards. We first need a set definition of activity, before setting up punishments.

14. Self explanatory.

15. I think this is another case, where this is an original draft of the rules that were never changed. We have every rule change up for vote in the offseason. So we can get rid of this from the rules as well.

On other topics mentioned:

Yeah Rule 5 would be bad, because people build their teams differently. Some will go for a lot of top heavy talent, and fill it with WW worthy talent, while others will go for a more balanced lineup, where their top end won't meet some other teams, but they have more depth. Since this information wasn't available at the time of the draft or the years since, I think it's unfair that one style of roster management will get rewarded for this, and the other will get punished, hence making it uneven IMO.

The roster management problem where illegal moves were made last year, were somewhat fixable. CBS allows you to retro activate (and deactivate) players, so technically they wouldn't gain anything by making the illegal move as long as it is found. Still, if there are multiple offenses, there can be some kind of penalty with draft picks, where say 3 offenses gets you a loss of a 3rd rd pick, 5, a second round pick, and 6 or more a first round pick.

Back to top Go down
jamcam13
Commissioner
avatar

Number of posts : 861
Age : 47
Location : Long Island
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48 pm

My only comments - we need cut down dates for the ML roster, and it probably should be before Spring Training (I don't see the relevance to when we have the Minors draft). I find I wind up carrying extra set up guys anyway. I like the loophole of having more info in Spring Training, but really shouldn't be afforded that.

I think for Mi spots - you drop as you draft if necessary. Like others said, there's so many things that change during the draft, we should not, in effect, penalize people for making wrong guesses. Like - will I need my 3rd round pick? I don't know who will be there. Why can't I hold on to my (legal) roster until such time as I need to make room?

No Rule 5 Draft. Not to make threats, but that would basically sour me on this league. I know it's only fringe players we're talking about, but I don't even want to lose my 3rd holds guy that I rotate in on a daily basis as needed b/c someone else didn't have use for him during last season. Instead - make ML cut down earlier and allow a week for pick ups. Think of it - we could have a New Years Bonanza! Jan 5 cut down - waiver pick ups allowed until/on Jan 12. Cure the jones b/w Fantasy Football being over and Spring Training opening. It would even be interesting to see who would be willing to use waiver position this early (That is, make all pick ups Waiver pick ups instead of FA).

I would hope we would at least keep a list of Minor League players owned here. It is tough to do a search on the placeholders on CBS site (I understand how to use search, but some guys names are relatively close and then needing to know first names, etc. It would just be good to have 1 place to look).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

avatar

Number of posts : 1920
Age : 30
Location : Middletown, IN
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 am

Quote :

1. We usually have a cut down date, before the draft. Now it's late and I do agree that there is a loophole there. If we set a cut down date that's somewhere in the middle of the offseason, that's fine by me. I don't agree with the cutting down of Milb rosters to match picks. Because teams by now can have enough loaded rosters with built up talent from years prior and bidding, that a 3rd pick might not be worth the 18th guy on their roster. If anything, if your roster is over, just take away the picks. Sort of like having to forefit picks for not cutting down milb rosters. You take your picks, and you pick until you reach your roster limit (and/or our maximum amount of rounds- which I believe is 3). So in this case, if I have 19 players, I lose my second and third round pick hypothetically.

Quote :


9. I like the idea of a roster cut date. I don't like the idea of picks being valued over current players. I think it should work the other way, and it would be easier to manage since we can skip people in a draft much easier than getting them online to cut players. Much rather have roster size dictate draft picks, than draft picks dictate roster size.

My proposal was to have the Active Roster cut-date on February 1st and the Minor League Draft in the middle of February. The Active Roster cut-date on February 1st would allow all Fantasy Football leagues to be over, all MLB Free Agents to have signed, and all Prospect publications to be out. This should give everyone the opportunity to obtain any information they need to make any roster decisions. The Roster Cut-Date would include having no more than 25 players on your Active Roster and meeting the Lineup Regulations. I think at some point in the off-season, everyone needs to be playing on the same "25 man active roster/ Legal Lineup/ No DL spots" playing field.

Also, my proposal for a Minor League Cut-Date was this... a week before the Draft Date you have a Cut-Date. Where if for example you have a full MiLB Roster of 20 players, and you have your own 3 Draft Picks (1st Rd, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd). Then you have to make a decision, you can cut 3 MiLB Players, and use all 3 Draft Picks or any combination of this. Point is, this cut-date would make sure no one has more than 20 of a combination of players and/or picks. Having this cut-date a week before the draft would allow owners a chance to trade any extra picks or players if they so choose. If someone has 20 stud prospects where they don't want to forgeit their 1st and 2nd Rd. Picks without getting anything in return, those picks could still be a very valuable trade asset from the end of the World Series till the MiLB Cut-Date in Mid-February.

What does everyone think? I hope that more clearly outlines my ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronfoster13

avatar

Number of posts : 559
Age : 40
Location : Sherwood, OR
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm ok with the MLB cut date, as I've pointed out before, there needs to be some flexibility in the minor leagues. Just because you have 3 open spaces on your minor league roster and 5 picks, doesn't mean you will use all your picks, as well as takes away the opportunity to wheel and deal during the draft for players that have suprisenly dropped or a person you are targeting. I'd rather have the minor league cut date after the draft and players that are then cut can be picked up via minor league bidding.

I say we put these to different votes.
A major league cut date
A minor league cut date
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 pm

bryanmurphy9 wrote:
Quote :

1. We usually have a cut down date, before the draft. Now it's late and I do agree that there is a loophole there. If we set a cut down date that's somewhere in the middle of the offseason, that's fine by me. I don't agree with the cutting down of Milb rosters to match picks. Because teams by now can have enough loaded rosters with built up talent from years prior and bidding, that a 3rd pick might not be worth the 18th guy on their roster. If anything, if your roster is over, just take away the picks. Sort of like having to forefit picks for not cutting down milb rosters. You take your picks, and you pick until you reach your roster limit (and/or our maximum amount of rounds- which I believe is 3). So in this case, if I have 19 players, I lose my second and third round pick hypothetically.

Quote :


9. I like the idea of a roster cut date. I don't like the idea of picks being valued over current players. I think it should work the other way, and it would be easier to manage since we can skip people in a draft much easier than getting them online to cut players. Much rather have roster size dictate draft picks, than draft picks dictate roster size.

My proposal was to have the Active Roster cut-date on February 1st and the Minor League Draft in the middle of February. The Active Roster cut-date on February 1st would allow all Fantasy Football leagues to be over, all MLB Free Agents to have signed, and all Prospect publications to be out. This should give everyone the opportunity to obtain any information they need to make any roster decisions. The Roster Cut-Date would include having no more than 25 players on your Active Roster and meeting the Lineup Regulations. I think at some point in the off-season, everyone needs to be playing on the same "25 man active roster/ Legal Lineup/ No DL spots" playing field.

Also, my proposal for a Minor League Cut-Date was this... a week before the Draft Date you have a Cut-Date. Where if for example you have a full MiLB Roster of 20 players, and you have your own 3 Draft Picks (1st Rd, 2nd Rd, 3rd Rd). Then you have to make a decision, you can cut 3 MiLB Players, and use all 3 Draft Picks or any combination of this. Point is, this cut-date would make sure no one has more than 20 of a combination of players and/or picks. Having this cut-date a week before the draft would allow owners a chance to trade any extra picks or players if they so choose. If someone has 20 stud prospects where they don't want to forgeit their 1st and 2nd Rd. Picks without getting anything in return, those picks could still be a very valuable trade asset from the end of the World Series till the MiLB Cut-Date in Mid-February.

What does everyone think? I hope that more clearly outlines my ideas.

Yeah, I can be fine with that. I don't mind the DL cut date.

Yeah, as long as you get a choice of picks or keeping prospects, then I'm good. I just didn't want picks to supersede prospects by default.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them   

Back to top Go down
 
Our League Rules & My Opinion Of Them
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» EAFL League Rules - Madden 17
» EAFL League Rules: Madden 16
» Elite League Rules
» Cricket World Cup 2015 - Fantasy League - Rules And Scoring
» League Rules Question

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Extra Base Hit Dynasty :: League Update Archive-
Jump to: