Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2006

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The anatomy of a loser

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huztler

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: The anatomy of a loser   Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:37 pm

It is not easy to actually put effort into a team and finish near the bottom every year. I decided to recap my inagural draft to find some answers...

1st rd. Ryan Howard – All-star still producing
2nd rd. Garrett Atkins – Easily worst pick of the round. Career is over.
3rd rd. Bobby Abreu – Solid pick still producing but not a star
4th rd. K-Rod – Decent pick when not incarcerated
5th rd. Jason Bay – My best pick of the draft
6th rd. Rich Hill – Here is where it starts to get really bad…
7th rd. traded for 2 8th rd picks
8th rd (a) John Maine – Better than Rich Hill but horrible pick
8th rd (b) Chad Cordero – Career ended before he got one save for the Caulk Blockers
9th rd. no pick
10th rd. Eric Gagne – A bad draft gets worse…also out of the game
11th rd. Yunieski Betancourt – I don’t even know what to say about this one…
12th rd JD Drew – Good pick for the round but not enough to make a difference
13th rd (a) Freddy Sanchez – Facepalm
13th rd (b) Jeremy Guthrie – OK pick
14th rd – Melky Cabrera – Pretty bad
15th rd. Bill Hall – Horrible
Justin Speier, Andy Sonnanstine, Ryan Doumit (yay a good pick), Ryan Madson, Luis Ayala, Matt Murton, Dmitri Young, Reggie Willits, Maicer Izturis, Logan Kensing

OUCH!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Look on the bright side, you got some killer minor leaguers and the #1 pick this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 1917
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:40 pm

I think anyone that thinks the same 5 guys are going to be at the top of this league for the next 5 years needs to look no farther than your roster and TBC's.... at some point, there will be a changing of the guard. Not to say the other teams will just fall off because they are well run, but you guys will put yourself into the mix because of your deep MiLB Roster's and young players at the MLB Level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:18 pm

bryanmurphy9 wrote:
I think anyone that thinks the same 5 guys are going to be at the top of this league for the next 5 years needs to look no farther than your roster and TBC's.... at some point, there will be a changing of the guard. Not to say the other teams will just fall off because they are well run, but you guys will put yourself into the mix because of your deep MiLB Roster's and young players at the MLB Level.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2380/chipperp.gif
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Nice post. I always like looking back at my moves to evaluate what went right...and more often for me, what went wront. It's a good way to learn.

The one thing I remember about this league's inaugural draft was my pick in the back end of the 2nd round. I knew I was going to take Hamels in the 3rd and I was down to Hafner and Justin Upton. I let my stupid, drunk, big easy wannabe friends choose. 'Pronk' has never been the same and Upton's best year's are still ahead of him. sigh.

I did pick up Edinson Volquez at pick 364, Adam Lind at 317 (Traded for Brandon "please leave me in AAA" Wood), and Jason Kubel at 284.

Selecting Jacque Jones in the 20th didn't pan out like I had hoped.

Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm

visgc wrote:

The one thing I remember about this league's inaugural draft was my pick in the back end of the 2nd round. I knew I was going to take Hamels in the 3rd and I was down to Hafner and Justin Upton. I let my stupid, drunk, big easy wannabe friends choose. 'Pronk' has never been the same and Upton's best year's are still ahead of him. sigh.

Where can I see them a Christmas card next year?? Haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 pm

huztler wrote:

OUCH!

interesting b/c i've had worse problems with trading.. my draft was ok overall.. giving up Brett Gardner for Kelvim Escobar hurts bad.. a couple of you guys even said i robbed Brady Bunch!.. i still can't remember how the hell Gardner ended up on Craig's team

and lack of getting trades done is killing me.. i dont have the magic touch

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 pm

My initial draft was allright I think, wasn't spectacularly good nor was it terrible. But pretty much half the team from that draft is gone I believe, if not more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:34 pm

The King Maker wrote:
My initial draft was allright I think, wasn't spectacularly good nor was it terrible. But pretty much half the team from that draft is gone I believe, if not more.

i think it got better - but your team WAS in the playoffs last year, so i don't think its a loser .. you guys need to find your own thread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 am

i like this thread - anyone else have any horror stories?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

I think I screwed up the Milb part of the draft, I went for too much upside rather than closer to the show, so all these years I've only gotten one significant contribution from an Milb player I drafted. I don't think my initial team was that strong, just made a ton of trades.
Back to top Go down
aaronfoster13

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

I was on vacation during our initial minor league draft, with a slower than puss internet connection that only logged onto this site and a Milb magazine with their top 250 minor leaguers. #1 the top 250 projections sucked. #2 wish there would have been more in depth minor league sites as their have come up in the past 2 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:37 am

Erik Bedard 2nd round. That is all.
Back to top Go down
Knuckleball
Commissioner

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 am

Well from my point of view I took over a terrible team...so it is hard to define how it could get any worse...but as for my actions...I would say the Brad Penny/Lou Marson trade in which I swapped the 1st Overall pick for the 4th, hence letting Carlos Santana slip away while I picked up Dan Schlereth or Junichi Tazawa. Though if Wilin Rosario pans out by the time I start winning I doubt I will care too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bryanmurphy9

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Adam Dunn and Carlos Gonzalez FOR BJ Upton & a couple draft picks

Thought for sure I was getting the best overall player in the deal in Upton, knew Gonzalez was good but had no idea he'd be 2010's top fantasy player. This deal wasn't a complete loss as I also got Drew Storen with one of the picks but this deal really put my team back. It's arguable, but I'd had a real shot at winning the league last year with Gonzalez & Dunn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Yeah, even I was surprised at how good Gonzalez turned out to be. I actually thought Dunn was the better option for me, but Gonzalez saved me. I find it preplexing how Upton fails to live upto his potential. He has all the tools, just can't put it together. I think my worst trade was CC Sabathia for Aaron Hill and Mark Rzepeniski. Second worst might be Chad Billingsly for a bunch of losers like Kendrick, Salty, and Hermida.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Drafting Ben Sheets
Back to top Go down
headcase524

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm

I wish I would have went younger in the initial draft instead of taking Manny Ramirez in round 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The anatomy of a loser   

Back to top Go down

The anatomy of a loser
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1