Extra Base Hit Dynasty

Since 2006

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My suggestions and observations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: My suggestions and observations   Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:16 pm

- allow the milb draft to run 5 rounds as suggested
- don't allow any rule change to increase "competitive balance" if the bottom 5 - 10 teams don't agree - some of these feel disingenuous only catered to still help top teams
- protect new managers with a commish council or similar. this group shouldn't be able to veto any deal or the like, but act as a sounding board for new managers still trying to get a value feel for the league. I know I felt duped early on when all the sharks came out and regret a few deals I made. I think this is the root of our attrition. How many new people join for one or two years, feel there team is worse and then leave. Call it shark protection. Take 4 or so of the most tenured managers and allow them to provide feedback on deal structure. It would also go a long way to ensuring no one is colluding, etc.
- weekly waivers. every player is on waivers, claims on Monday morning. pretty standard stuff which can resolve a ton.

As a one time new owner who took on a shitty team, the above would have been helpful for me. The rest of the stuff here, to me, sounds like noise.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 1920
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I feel like the reason some new owners jump ship after 1-2 years because they don't fully buy into rebuilding. You can't acquire young talent but keep a veteran or two because you like them. What good does that do you? Sell, sell, sell. Also, some have a misconception of value. What I view a player as worth and you view a player could be two separate things. In trading the only hong that matters is what the entire league thinks a player is worth. That's market value. Too many guys hold out on dealing a veteran because they believe they should get more. When they are really just missing an opportunity to get something of value. You're either fully in or fully out. You can't do a rebuild halfass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThunderBalls

Number of posts : 644
Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:59 pm

everything you suggest, Jim, makes sense. Id support those. not sure how you would handle the council thing, but at least giving new managers a chance to objectively assess options couldn't hurt

and i agree with Bryan - sell me Beltran for peanuts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 am

The extension of the draft waters down the draft, because there is really no advantage for the bottom dwelling team at that point since everyone gets more picks. Infact, that would actually HELP the top tier teams because they can then trade more prospects for help now (thus increasing their chances of winning currently) and then use those picks to acquire even more minor league players to stockpile. Whereas a team that is rebuilding is more likely to have limited slots available anyway because they are most likely rebuilding with prospects, so they don't actually get the full value of what is intended there. The only scenario where that really helps is when a team is being taken over and has nothing in it, but once the rebuilding process has begun and a year into it, this probably hurts the bottom teams because it's equally as effective or better for the top tier teams. The extra bidding money atleast works because there is a decided advantage in being able to outbid a top tier team for a player they may want.

The council could work, as a sounding board.
Back to top Go down
bryanmurphy9

Number of posts : 1920
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 am

Everyone would not have more picks, only non playoff teams. Those picks would also not be tradeable. Now everyone won't get a bonafide top 100 prospect but logic would think that a few teams a year would end up with a really good prospect from those slots making it worth it and an advantage to those rebuilding teams. If they had a full 20 man MiLB roster then they could always pass on their pick and say receive another $1 bid cash for passing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Knuckleball
Commissioner

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 pm

I think trying to get the lower tier teams better prospects is more easily handled in providing them more milb cash to spend after the draft (or reducing the cash available to the upper tier teams). Extending out the draft to the non-playoff teams seems unfair and a lot of times even that third round (60th pick) you end up isn't necessarily worth the roster spot on the 20 man milb roster.

Yes, I do realize there are a few teams that are lacking the quality/quantity in their minors system, but since we only have 20 managers, I think we are more than flush with available prospects to fill our system without thinking that adding another 20-25 picks at the end of the draft is going to make such a significant difference. And if they actually spent their milb cash, they might easily be able to make up for that lack of depth in a year or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My suggestions and observations   

Back to top Go down

My suggestions and observations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1